Sunday, January 27, 2013

Severely embarrassed

I don't regard Paul Holmes as a journalist.  He was a broadcaster.  Broadcasters are not journalists.  Regardless, of that, and regardless of his alleged political friends (after all, he does count Helen Clark as a personal friend), Holmes has altered the landscap of radio and TV broadcasting in this country.

Even in his final hours he fronts the camera to show us all what being near death is like  My wife remarked "why would you do it".  The answer is pretty clear.

All during his career, Holmes brought to living rooms the storeies that were human-based.  It can't be easy living your life in a fishbowl, but that was necessary for Holmes, and his style of broadcasting.

Sure, he had some dodgy moments.  But so bloody what.  And he wasn't very tough on Prime Ministers on Newstalk ZB during the regular 7:40 slot on Mondays.

Yet even facing death, Holmes fronts the camera to bring to us the reality we all have to face up to.  And that, for me, is the mark of Holmes as a broadcaster: he brought us the realities.  Every day.  And night.  He used to irritate me many times, but at others I was absorbed by him.  But I'm probably a soft-cock in most people's eyes.

So where is this leading?  Easy really.

The shit-for-brained lowlifes at Kiwiblog.  Here are some samples:

Sorry.
Even considering that Holmes is apparently on his death bed, I’m afraid I cannot share in the reverence.
Holmes is one of a breed of Progressives (John Campbell is another) who because of their lack of political objectivity, have poisoned the well of journalism for generations.
We owe Holmes no chivalry. His legacy is a once reputable profession brought into utter disrepute.
That is the harsh truth.

Redbaiter

Agree with Redbaiter – Holmes as a journo was an obnoxious little sh*t and I can’t for the life of me see what he has done to deserve a Kthood
In fact, he seems to have pressured others to get it – see this quote from this morning’s Herald
“The next day, Holmes spoke passionately to her of his desire for a honour. “He did a straight pitch for a knighthood,” a source said.”
Sad he is ill but I don’t think he contributed much to NZ. In the end, it was and still is all about himself

Aquataur
 

Holmes is just one big ball of ego, like many media people. His concern for “his people” only extended to self promotion by appealing to popular sentiment. He is no better, or worse, than other presenters in that regard. Certainly he should not be knighted for it.


Kea

 If Holmes had done his job right, there is no way Helen Klark would be asking Key to give him a knighthood.

Redbaiter (again)

Holmes is just a self-promoting dickhead. He didn’t “change the scene” – the scene changed, and he was a presenter for a new format of TV show. Just because the guy’s dying doesn’t mean we have to act as though he was great. He wasn’t. He’s just another presenter – and we’ve had hundreds of them.
 Tristanb
I don't think it matters whether you like Holmes, or not.  The man is a Knight.  He is dying.  He is showing us what death is like.  He has a wife.  And kids.  And other friends.

SHOW SOME FUC*ING RESPECT TO A DYING MAN YOU MINDLESS FUC*WITS.  IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY (AND IT'S CLEAR YOU DON'T), JUST KEEP YOUR THOUGHTS TO YOURSELF.

That feels betterAt times like this I am embarrassed to be part of the blogosphere.

I'll leave the last word to David Garrett, who also commented on Farrar's blog post.  And remember, he is from the "hard right". 
I was interviewed by him twice, some years apart, and on quite different topics. He was very well briefed, and allowed the questions to be answered, unlike the dreadful Mary Wilson, Sean Plunket, Campbell, and others who would think themselves far superior journalists than Holmes was. His passing will leave a hole.
 

8 comments:

gravedodger said...

Thanks Nick K, sums it up for me.
Tried watching the Sunday special but had to leave it but that is me.

Lindsay Mitchell said...

Can't add anything more to that Nick. Been racking my brains for something more than just adequate. But failing. So you've said it for lots of us.

pdm said...

Well said Nick - I hardly visit Kiwiblog these days so haven't seen the comments.

mrspdm and I enjoyed Holmes on radio as much for entertainment as for his interviews of political and business people. We liked the human aspects in particular and the obvious pleasure he had holidaying with Rueben in particular. There were times when he wore his heart on his sleeve as the saying goes.

He will be missed after his final breath is taken.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nick K, nicely said. I haven't always been a huge fan of Holmes but that interview was like nothing else I've seen on TV.

That was a man laying his soul bare for the world to see in his final days it would have taken courage that anonymous commenters (and I include myself in this) will probably never have.

When he said "I would say that my kids DID come first..... But that wouldn't be true." I just about lost it, not many people would have the balls to face up to their shortcomings like that, let alone on national TV.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nick K, nicely said. I haven't always been a huge fan of Holmes but that interview was like nothing else I've seen on TV.

That was a man laying his soul bare for the world to see in his final days it would have taken courage that anonymous commenters (and I include myself in this) will probably never have.

When he said "I would say that my kids DID come first..... But that wouldn't be true." I just about lost it, not many people would have the balls to face up to their shortcomings like that, let alone on national TV.

Anonymous said...

I mainly remember Holmes for ignorantly talking over people who were trying to answer the question he had just asked. But I didn't watch many of his shows and never heard him on the radio so there may have been another side to the man. Ian

Anonymous said...

He's the only broadcaster I wrote to complain about.

I disagree with the swooning to some extent but wouldn't stoop to abuse. If you elect to live your life in the media you can't pick and chose when to ignore attention and people expressing opinions.

Every job has good and bad points and Holmes did well out of something he enjoyed. Death gets us all and his will be no more special in the scheme of things because he's famous. I'm nowhere near close enough in any way meaningful to say I'll miss him.

3:16

Tinman said...

Why?

I have no comment about Holmes, I turned television and radio away from him whenever I heard him polluting the airwaves and therefore have no opinion but ...

Why?

Why does the report that he is doing that most human action of dying (something we all do sooner or later) change him into some sort of unchallengeable saint?

Why does the awarding to him of some (obviously debatable) honorary status make him untouchable?

And, of course, the biggie; Why do No Minister readers need to have the inane comments on a another blog quoted to them when, if they wish to read them, they can simply go to (in this case) Kiwiblog and read then in situ?